Monday, October 31, 2011

Not on my watch you don't

The Army, like most large organizations, loves its acronyms. I learn a new one almost everyday. My most recent favorite is BLUF:Bottom Line Up Front. I use that one every chance I get, which just is not often enough. Last week my boss asked me to review our JSOP, Joint Standard Operating Procedures, document. It's 48 pages detailing how we collaborate with the other agencies on the installation. The very first section defined domestic violence as any use of force or threat of use of force between members of the opposite sex who are married, were married, have a child in common or living together for 30 consecutive days or more. The paragraph continued for another few sentences, but all I could focus on was the phrase about members of the opposite sex. These guys obviously did not get the memo about DADT being over. I promptly removed the offending phrase about members of the opposite sex. This discrimination will not continue on my watch. Same sex couples who are in crisis have the right to all the services mixed couples receive.

I called Jerry's attention to this immediately. I had serious doubts about him when I heard he an older, white gentleman who spent all of his life in a small town in Arkansas accepted the position as the Family Advocacy Program Manager. I was prepared for all manner of culturally and racially insensitive comments. I wish I could say my preparation was unwarranted. He did say things that made me and other women I work with uncomfortable. Perhaps it was my preparation or the combination of how much I love my job and refusal to quit, but I was determined to make it work.

So when he he told my female colleague to hush and asked me about my religion during his first week on the job I was worried but, undeterred. Eventually he and I came to an understanding about each other. He may have some preconceived ideas about black people, women, homosexuality and interracial marriage, but through exposure he's learning more about human nature and the importance of doing the right thing even if we do things differently around here.

He agreed with my decision to remove the phrase about couples of the opposite sex. He was said he was shocked to see it in there, I don't think that's true as it one of the first you lines in the document and I assume he has read at least the first few pages. Nevertheless, he agreed to my changes and at the end of the day I made a significant change to standard operating procedure in the Army. Today was a very good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment