Saturday, November 5, 2011

Find your own cure


I'm not one for holistic medicine. If I'm in pain give me an Aleve. I don't believe in herbs, teas and natural remedies. My entire childhood was plagued with food allergies. My parents stuffed me with supplements and teas from the the South American bush in hopes of a homeopathic cure. None of it worked for me. Eventually I out grew some of my allergies. I had to learn how to manage the others.

All that being said I began running hard core three years ago. Not for any particular reason...Well perhaps there was a particular reason. I was looking for something physical to throw myself into. I was fresh off of a break up, and nothing frees the mind of dark memories like intense physical activity. I was running from my past. I'm all about mind over matter. Even when my body begged me to stop I pushed it beyond its limits. I achieved my goals, but at a t price. I strained my hip muscle, badly.

My visit to my primary care physician got me a referral to a sports orthopedist who suspected me of being a closet anorexic running herself to death. Fortunately for me he believed me when I said I was naturally thin, and loved to eat. He prescribed an analgesic and gave me a prescription to see a physical therapist. I hate physical therapy. It hurts, and that guy reduced me to tears. He didn't say I would never run again, but almost. I eased up on the running. I worked out. I stretched. I went to physical therapy twice. I cried. I fell in love. I got married. I interviewed Arianna Huffington. I quit my awesome job. I moved to Italy. I suffered though, because the pain did not go away through any of it.

Then I became obsessed with my hair. I spent a lot of time reading about haircare and came across two supplements that have changed my life: Silica and MSM. Since I began taking these over the summer the pain has subsided and my hair looks awesome. Why didn't any of doctors I saw tell me about natural supplements that could help me? The truth is I might not have been ready to hear that message or perhaps they wanted me to keep coming to see them. Through my own research I found a natural cure for my joint and muscle pain. I wonder what else Mother Nature has in store for me...

No comments:

Post a Comment