Wednesday, March 22, 2017

I don't miss Italy..yet

We left Italy! After years of not knowing how long we would be in Italy, Ryan got a transfer to the great state of Georgia. I wish I had the good fortune to tell you it was easy, but even with professional packers and movers it was a stressful and unpredictable process. The movers were trained professionals with strict orders to pack everything not nailed down. At one point they packed Hunter's diaper bag. Obviously we needed that to travel so they had to look through the packed boxes to find it.

After three stressful days of packing and shipping our cars we moved into a hotel before we boarded a plane bound for America. Three hotels and two months later we are looking forward to moving into our place in a few weeks. Neither of us has ever lived in the south before, but the adjustment has been smooth. The weather in Savannah is perfect right now. I have been advised it will change a great deal as we head into the very hot and humid Savannah summer. But unlike northern Italy, there is no shortage of Freon here and there is climate controlled escape when temperature rise.

That last few months in Italy were filled with great joy as well deep sadness. I made many special friendships and the idea of leaving them kept me awake many nights. Luckily wine, especially red wine, is cheap there and helped to assuage my sorrows. Even more luckily I was able to ship some of the stuff here to help me when I get Italy sick. I am sure I will miss the place eventually, but for now I am embracing the change of pace here.

I adore the diversity of food, people and foliage. The sea moss hanging from trees is quite picturesque and southern hospitality is an actual phenomenon. The people here are genuinely kind and gracious. I could go on about the food and many conveniences everyday Americans take for granted, but we would be here all night. I will share that going to the grocery story at 10pm on a Sunday is an exquisite pleasure most Americans take for granted. That is a luxury virtually unheard of in the town where I spent the last seven years. I love late night grocery shopping, stadium seating at the movies and most of all cocktails before dinner.

Italy is a beautiful country, but I am so happy to be home. We are all settling in to include our three cats. The adventure continues friends. See you all soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment