Monday, October 23, 2017

She Wasn't There!

We moved to Pooler in April with very little fanfare. In fact there was not any fanfare. We patiently waited for our new neighbors to come through with cookies and homemade pies, but they never came. Turns out the whole thing is part of suburban mythology, and that's ok because everything else about this neighborhood is the American dream. It was never the version of happiness I had for myself. I planned to live in a sprawling four bedroom apartment with a wraparound balcony in a desirable part of town in walking distance to the supermarket. I never considered a real live stand alone structure with a yard and a driveway. It was not the story I told myself about who I wanted to be when I grew up.

And then it happened, and now we have lovely neighbors who feed our cats when we are away. Who popover unexpectedly in need of medicine or encouragement. My favorites are the playdates. Hunter has bonded especially well with four year old soon-to-be five year old Josiah. There was a fast connection with these two. It warms my heart to see Hunter developing bonds with other children.

Today I had test, a mission if you will. Josiah's mom asked me to pick him up from the bus stop located 50 meters from my front door, and keep him with me until 5:30 when she could pick him up. She has helped me out in a pinch so I enthusiastically said yes. Priscilla told me the bus arrives at approximately 4:15. Hunter and I headed to the bus stop at 4:05. My stomach lurched when I opened my front door. The bus already dropped off the children on my street. I grabbed Hunter's hand and ran but, the bus was pulling off. I hoped it was a different bus, the wrong bus, the big kid bus. I wanted it to be any bus besides Josiah's bus. I waited a few minutes when it began to rain. Hunter had begun to complain when a bus made its way to where I stood.

Josiah ran off of the bus sobbing into my arms. To complicate matters his shirt was on backwards. When I asked what happened he said he wanted his mommy. I explained she was coming to get him later. That only seemed to make matters worse. He cried harder. After a few minutes Josiah calmed down enough to tell me it was dress backwards day at school. He also told me he was on the bus I saw pull away as I approached it. The driver dropped off the other kids then made another pass for his guardian..me. Eventually Josiah told me he forgot to tell his mother the bus comes earlier on Mondays.

Once we arrived at my house he calmed down and he and Hunter got on with playing. Priscilla came to pick him up at 5:30 as discussed. I told her what happened as we both competed to apologize. Me for missing the bus, her for not having the time right.When Josiah came to the door he was  unprepared to leave. He was stalling because he and Hunter were having fun. Priscilla reminded him that they discussed me picking him up today. He screamed but she was not there! He was emotional again. It was a dagger through my heart, but we all laughed knowing it was no one's fault but acknowledged it was scary experience for Josiah and me. Welcome to the 'burbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment