Sunday, May 19, 2013

Vicenza Highland Games

The year is 2013 and I am sitting in the Great Town Hall meeting known to all throughout the Kingdom as the Info X. As is customary, I was sitting close to the front of the Great Hall as the leaders of our clans regaled us with tales of their accomplishments. After a time the first Highland Games were announced. I lept at the opportunity to be part of the momentous occasion unaware of the athleticism planned for the day.

Two days before the games the events were listed:
Run 5K 
Scale a 7ft wall
Crawl through a mud pit
A stone throw
Wade through an ice bath
Climb over a car 
Slide through muddy tubes
Navigate a tire maze

Terrified of the majority of the events, the ice bath elicited the most apprehension. As the day drew near I intensified my fitness regimen. On the day of the games we dressed ourselves in raiment according to our lineage. 

The 5k caused me to draw labored breath. The sight of the muddy tubes gave me slight pause; I pushed forward. At the stone throw, my mate located a small stone for me. I threw it. Hard. Missing my mark I received a penalty of five push ups. Undeterred I pressed onward. The other members of my clan dug deep to encourage me even as I questioned my motivation in the dastardly mission. At the base of the seven-foot wall my countrymen provided foot and shoulder to hoist me over the wall. Once on the other side I landed squarely upon my feet and ran, stretching my legs wide to reach the next obstacle. 

When we came upon the ice bath I was near delirium. I waded into the water until I was chest deep. The passage of the other clans created a churning current. My mate shouted over the waves, but I could not hear of what he spoke. The water was a cleansing of the mud and grit. I emerged renewed. Climbing over the length of car was all that stood between me and glory. Once over the car I set my sights upon the finish line, and ran there with the swiftness of a cheetah. 

After the Games




No comments:

Post a Comment