Thursday, January 19, 2012

Rented an apartment in Rome


I am a big believer in setting goals at the beginning of the year. High on my list this year is to spend more time in Rome. I love it here. The first time I went to Rome was in January of 1993. Totally showing my age here. Whatever. I loved everything about the place from the moment I left the airport with those nuns who let let me hitch a ride with them.

I have never been able to let go of my longing to be there. Fortunately Ryan enjoys spending time in the eternal City as well. That's why we resolved to spend more time in Rome this year. We will not live in Italy forever. While we are here it is important to make the most of it. We may not live in Rome but, a three hour train ride is a lot closer and cheaper than an eight hour plane ride from JFK.

We took a day trip in early December last year, but it felt a little rushed. I did not get to shop AT ALL. We spent time with a few friends I have that live there, had dinner, walked around a bit and headed back to Vicenza. We have arranged to go for two nights next month with a couple I recently matched. At first we considered our go to place: Hotel Navona. We stayed there last summer. The location was perfect, but the room was lackluster. It will certainly do in a pinch.

My Brazilian "gay boyfriend" Jeremy was visiting with us from New York. As travel stories go it was a strange coincidence that the owner of the 500 year old palazzo that is the hotel was a former lover a Brazilian novella star. It made for interesting dinner conversation. My friend Carlos suggested the hotel to us. He also suggested a Bed & Breakfast that is directly above his Argentine restaurant Baires. Both options are pricey, especially for a weekend getaway.

Then I discovered this site. I made a few phone calls, sent a few emails and within a few hours I had a deal on the table. I have never traveled this way, but when traveling with another couple it is much more cost efficient.

No comments:

Post a Comment