Saturday, January 28, 2012

John Luther the British anti-hero

I am nothing else if not curious about how people like me (whatever that means) live in other parts of the world. It has driven most of my varied travel experiences. Even with this curiosity I have shied away from British television. I have quite a few British relatives who tell me about their tv shows and stars who make the switch to American television and film. I am often surprised to discover they are indeed in British.

That brings me to Idris Elba. I had no idea this good looking bloke was British. He exudes the swagger and roughness of the dreamboats of my Brooklyn youth. I was fairly shocked to know they grew that way in the United Kingdom. I didn't watch The Wire,, but I heard he was great. He was sensational on the American version of The Office. He had role in Last summer's Thor, and after he won at the Golden Globes I went ahead and bought the first, then later the second season of Luther on iTunes.

Watching Mr. Elba on Luther you find yourself on edge for most of the hour. It is quite difficult to figure out what he is going to say or do next. He broke a door into pieces in one of the early episodes and I was terrified. His character looms large and in charge of everything except his emotions, which is thrilling to watch. I am thrilled Ryan is no Luther, but I sure enjoy watching Idris strut his stuff round London.

No comments:

Post a Comment