Monday, August 15, 2011

We did my hair all day

The weekend was kind of a big deal. There was the dinner party for my friend Ellen at Osteria i Monelli, and there was my hair. Some of us have hobbies. Ryan prefers building model planes and helicopters. Once upon a time a time I was an avid runner, pounding 30 miles a week at the gym but, mostly on the Williamsburg Bridge. I still enjoy running, but the passion for it has diminished since I arrived in Vicenza.

Over the past three months I have taken up a new hobby: my hair. I have always been interested in my hair. I was a weekly blow out girl in New York, entrusting my haircare needs to professionals most of my adult life. That changed drastically when I moved to Italy last year. Getting a Dominican blowout is impossible here. The Italian blowouts leave my strands vibrant, silky and full of body and bounce, but the heat damage and the price tag are deterrents. I was forced to take matters into my own hands, well Ryan's too. I am developing a healthy DIY haircare regimen that is teaching me many things about my health and self sufficiency. I'm not completely self sufficient yet, I still rely on Ryan quite a bit.

Ryan is a meticulous man. He demonstrates this in his work ethic and in his hobbies. This made him an ideal companion for my healthy hair journey. I just just wasn't ready for everyone at Ellen's dinner party to know about it.

We sat across from Becky and her husband James at Osteria i Monelli. There were 13 of us and the the Romanian waitress was overwhelmed just looking at our table. James, originally from Guatemala, tried his Italian. He hoped this would make things easier for her, but she responded to him in English despite all his efforts. Once all of our orders were taken, we settled into getting to know each other better. Becky and James told us about the volksmarch they were going to the next morning. After awhile they asked what we did all day. Ryan said Mickie's hair. I was proud of him, but also a little embarrassed to admit we spent the enitre day doing my hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment