Monday, June 27, 2011

The monk with the toilet brush

Ryan's airsoft team is part of our Italian family. One of them invited the key members of the team to their wedding. Ryan only thought to mention we were attending an Italian wedding a week prior to the event. I have only been to one other Italian wedding. It was about 15 years ago and I had a different sort of Italian family then, but they welcomed me into their hearts just as warmly. It was a delightful evening on retired ranch. There so many happy people in such a beautiful place. Even the brown pit bull with the pink bow seemed happy that day.

That story is for another day. As I stared at Ryan trying to get him to understand that I needed to go shopping immediately he made an astute observation. I have plenty of cocktail dresses. There was no need to go shopping for something to wear. A few days later he decided he didn't want to go the wedding after all. Saved me the shopping trip. Our weekend was busy enough without adding a wedding into the mix. He gave money for the present and signed the card.

Things changed again when we had pizza with the team and they insisted we attend. I began putting together my look in my head as I sat in front of my pizza. There were drinks after pizza. The bunch of us strolled through Piazza dei Signori talking about nothing in particular when I spotted some friends from the base. We ended up chatting well past midnight. They convinced us to go to the reception the next day.

The reception was at Villa Canal. Even the parking lot of this place is beautiful. The eight of us stood around trying to find a way into the close knit affair. Ryan and I hung back leaving it to the Italians to navigate the cultural morass. One of us, I can't be sure who, made eye contact with the Bride and we were in! We handed over the massive box with a beautiful vase inside. We all told her how beautiful she looked and found a table. We took turns going to the bar and enjoying the evening when the guy dressed as monk began chanting. His wig was lopsided and his robe way too short. Then I saw the toilet brush and the bowl in his arm.

Some traditions involve rice, bubbles or petals. At this party, they hired a guy dressed as a monk to throw water at guests using a toilet bowl brush. He chanted a blessing as he gave Ryan a few extra splashes to his groin. At least we got the family jewels blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment