Saturday, April 23, 2011

They flinch when I say vagina

Who knew saying the word vagina would make people so uncomfortable. By people I mean male soldiers. Every Tuesday at 9:30 you can find me briefing 10 to 50 soldiers who are new to the installation about the importance of obtaining consent before sexual activity, and dispelling myths about sexual assault. I wish I could tell you these guys, and a few girls, are excited to hear what I have to say. I can't though, because they are not. They have heard this information countless times before. At least one of them doses off while I am talking. I have sought to make the 45 minutes they spend with me more interesting for them and for me.

They snicker and complain when I emphasize the importance of consent. "Do I need girls to sign a contract before I sleep with them?", one soldier asked. His battle buddies high-fived him in approval. Their outrageous responses to sexual violence often challenge my authority and control of the room. Some of them mistakenly take my femaleness as shyness. Luckily for me I am not easily embarrassed, but to their surprise they are.

Last week I had a large class. There were about 45 soldiers, of these about four of them were women. The female soldiers tend to be very quiet during my briefs. I think the topic of sexual assault is to close to home for most. I got to the part of my presentation where I tell them there were 4 male-on-male sexual assaults on this installation last year. This week that fact got their attention. Many of them stared at me bewildered. "But how?", they said to me silently with their eyes wide. The female soldiers making eye contact with me for the first time. The sleepy fellow in the front row straightening himself out of his slumped over position.

I had their attention, and I intended to keep it. That's when I said it,"You don't have to have a vagina to be raped." A few of them flinched at the word vagina. Many of them blinked at me in quick succession. The women cautiously looked around prepared for a sign of potential danger. I responded to the tension in the room with my personal brand of candor,"Oops, I said the 'v' word." I looked around, "Is everyone ok?" The women were smirking. A few of them smiled at me. Yeah, I definitely have their attention now.

No comments:

Post a Comment