Friday, April 1, 2011

And then there were four

April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month. In my role I am responsible for using this month to spearhead activities to raise awareness of this issue in the community. I have a number of initiatives happening, but none of them as controversial as the Public Serve Announcement on AFN is turning out to be.

For those of you unfamiliar with AFN, it's the Armed Forces Network. It is the military's TV station. They show the most popular shows from home. For example Dancing with the Stars, Glee, NCIS, Grey's Anatomy, Oprah and Dr. Phil are on heavy rotation. Instead of commercials for detergent, cars or cell phones I see information relevant to Soldiers, Airmen, Seamen and Marines. PSAs on how to deal with PTSD, Stop-loss pay, suicide prevention and messages from the field.

I was given the green light to produce a PSA to address sexual assault in Army. Sexual assault is no less important than PTSD. That's where the post High School students come in. I thought it would be exciting to work them. Most of these kids have lived all over the world. I am interested in their perspective.

Not as many as I thought jumped at the opportunity to be on AFN. My core group is four young men. That was a surprise. I expected more girls would be interested, but the subject matter may have intimidated them.

I assembled my group and tasked them with coming up with a solid idea to present to the Chief of AFN at our installation. Our meeting was yesterday. My group of young men have chosen to write and act in a skit about a male-on-male sexual assault. I don't know if this community is ready for this but, so far all the powers that be (full bird colonels and the like) are impressed with these young men as well as their idea. I wait with baited breath for the script. It's due on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment