Monday, March 14, 2011

My chain of command voluntold me to be here

I'm teaching a class on sexual assault prevention this week. There are seven soldiers in my class, and it's my job to teach them how to be an emotional support for soldiers who are victims of sexual assault. They were voluntold to be here. It's extra work for them. Work most of them do not want to do. Work that their chain of command has tasked them to do.

I spent the afternoon teaching soldiers who are taught not to have feelings to empathize with victims who have experienced sexual trauma. Each time I say "feelings" they look like deer caught in headlights; ready to make a break for it in any direction where I am not. It looks like they receive a jolt of electric shock every time I ask them how something makes them feel.

Getting them to see the difference between sex offenders and homosexuals is a challenge. They see them as equals. They say the repeal of Don't Ask, Don't Tell will put them in peril. They are terrified to be objectified by men. Welcome to the real world gentleman. The fairer half of the species lives with the reality of being objectified by men all of our childbearing years. And it may come as a great shock to many of them, but most of the gay boys will NOT be beating down the doors to sleep with most of them.

One soldier told me that he dreaded the moment his daughter would see two women holding hands at Army family functions. Curious about the depth of what I perceived to be his ignorance, I asked if he thought his daughter would become gay if she saw two women hold hands. His answer surprised me. He was concerned she would see women holding hands and she would think it was right to be gay. I asked if he thought it was wrong to be gay. He said, "Yes it is. At least in my house." His classmates chimed in their affirmations. "Yes, I agree. I'm Catholic," said one.

I have my work cut out for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment