Monday, February 18, 2013

You are making me blush

For the past year I have been focused on my physical health. I started lifting weights twice a week. Taking a daily multi-vitamin and a host of minerals and supplements. Through trial and error I have found a regimen that works well for me. It includes collagen, cod liver oil, a multi-vitamin and as much water as I can drink. Most days that's about 75 ozs.

The results have been extraordinary. My joint pain has disappeared, random breakouts are far and few between, and most importantly my immune system is stronger than it has ever been. Once upon a time I was the girl who walked around with a box of tissues because I always had a runny nose and was getting over a cold. Those days are gone.

With a more even toned complexion and less joint pain I have shifted my focus to make up. I have always loved make up, but I go through phases when I focus less on it or get into a rut of using the same eye shadow, mascara, lip gloss over and over again until I visit a make up counter and the salesperson introduces something new to my palette.

This shift was not so much prompted by a visit to a make-up counter as much as it is a new friend. Since I have been here, almost three years now, I have made lots of friends, but none of them passionate about make up and fashion. She challenges me to do better, make more of an effort and take it to the next level. Now that's what friends are for! Today she recommended I get of the individual lashes ball, oh and do something about my gray hairs. For the record my gray hairs are the bane of my existence.

I enjoy the influence. That brings me to my new blush obsession. A few weeks ago she asked if I wore blush. My response was hesitant. Blush on my skin tone can be a tricky affair. In general it should be warm, not cool, and highly pigmented. A good blush can be cream or powder, and it should compliment your undertones. If you are staring from scratch those requirements can easily scare a novice away. For starters what is the difference between a warm and cool colored blush? The words"highly pigmented"gave me pause and although I think I have yellow undertones, that knowledge did not help me understand what colors would work on my skin.

Illamasqua Hussy

Me wearing both...

Bobbi Brown Apricot
Enter youtube. I found a plethora of helpful videos and ordered two blushes from Sephora.com. The most popular blush was Bobbi Brown's Apricot Powder Blush. Illamasqua is another favorite. The popular Betray cream blush was discontinued and they sent me Hussy Powder Blush instead. At first I was furious, but at home I applied it and saw gorgeous results. A week later I went to drugstore.com and ordered a few of the popular drugstore brands. They should arrive this week. Next stop Ardell lashes.

No comments:

Post a Comment