Saturday, April 7, 2012

That in fact did just happen

We have been eating a lot of fresh fish lately, especially tuna. Ryan's preferred way to prepare it is to sear it with freshly ground salt and pepper. The keys to this dish are of course good quality fresh tuna, a non stick skillet and the right amount of salt and pepper. We have been looking for the perfect salt and pepper grinder for some weeks without luck. This morning I took an early morning stroll around town. I walked down one of those cobblestone, picturesque streets Italy is famous for, when I saw a small kitchen appliance store. In the window was the perfect pair of glass salt and pepper grinders. Excited I walked in on two older Italian men talking. They were surprised to see me, and it felt as though I had interrupted something. Undeterred by their surprise, I inquired about the salt and pepper grinders I saw in the window. One of the Italian men slowly gathered his belongings and left. As he walked out I realized I was in this shop alone with what could be easily described as a creepy old man in some circles.

He came around from the behind the counter to show me the grinders. He said they were in the back and motioned for me to follow him. Eager to surprise Ryan with the grinders I followed him toward the back of the store. Suddenly he turned around before I knew what was happening he grabbed my shoulder and pulled me into an awkward embrace. I wedged my larger than average purse in between us quickly. He asked if I was married. I said YES and squirmed away from his frail torso. He held onto my arm as I pulled away and looked at me with what I can only describe as a combination of desperation and lust. Grossed out and disappointed, I walked quickly out of the store.

Back on the photogenic street, across from a church I looked back at the little shop and confirmed with myself yes, that in fact did just happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment