Friday, November 5, 2010

Uncomfortable movies about genocide

My husband does important work that makes a difference in the world. He educates others about ongoing conflicts in Africa. I don't know for sure why or how he came to have the drive to do this work, but nights like these when he watches movies about Darfur that make me want to cry out loud and hard for along time I remember that this knowledge will make him work harder at his job. He's a man who cares about what's going in a place that does not affect his everyday life, and yet he cares. I marvel at the fact that he can sit through a movie about the genocide in Darfur, but I'm so proud that he can because he won't just turn the channel or shrug his shoulders when the topic of Africa comes up.

He sat through Darfur, a movie that depicted the horrific atrocities happening in a world far away from our secure home in Vicenza. I wanted to watch Vanilla Sky for the tenth time. He had other plans for how to end a day that began with his final exam and my second look at an orientation for soldiers returning from Afghanistan and Iraq, affectionately known as downrange.

When I say this is a whole new world for me I mean it. Everything is different. From the people I love to the reasons I love them. It's all different. I love my husband for many reasons, but most of all him for his unlimited compassion, and his humanity. Both inspire me.

I lived a blessed life far removed from the wretchedness of Darfur and loved by a man who cares for those so much less fortunate than us.

No comments:

Post a Comment