Sunday, February 24, 2019

Diana IRL

It is always best to start at the beginning. And for me the beginning begins with Diana Ross. When I was a kid I was sure I was going to be a megawatt star when I grew up. I envisioned my childhood as a long, slow walk to stardom. But, when I turned 11, right when I expected to be discovered as a child prodigy with a unique-once-in-a-generation voice, I was asked to stop singing in the choir at school. It was a devastating moment to be sure. By that point in my life I had perfected holding the microphone, stage presence and a hurried autograph for fans. All that came crashing down around my tiny shoulders. What remained was my high esteem for Diana "the Boss" Ross. And so when by chance I emailed a friend happy birthday last month and she told me she was going to see Diana Ross I peed a little in my panties. I do not know this person very well so I tried to play it neutral.
Me: Oh really? W-ow.
Her: Tomorrow night. Jimmy got tickets. Amy and all the girls are coming. You should come we have sitter for Hunter
Me: Where? Errr..Where is Diana
Diana and her sparkly red jumpsuit in 1983
Ross playing?
Her: Downtown Savannah

She continued to text me with the pre- and post concert happenings. There was something about a well connected lobbyist visiting from Atlanta that I just had to meet. As hard as tried to follow the details, I was enraptured with the prospect I might at long last see Diana IRL. In 1983 I watched Diana enthrall thousand in her iconic Central Park concert wearing among other memorable outfits, a red sparkly jumpsuit. I vowed then that I would see her in concert some day. Dear reader that day arrived.

Can you believe there were tickets two days before the performance? I called another friend who just happened to be free and purchased two tickets just two days before the concert. The Johnny Mercer theater is a smallish venue. The seats I picked were on the ground level off to the left side of the stage but, far closer than I imagined would be available. It was a cold night and the icy air circulated in the lobby as we waited to enter the theater. My friend the birthday girl arrived shortly after. Suddenly my friend complained of how hot she felt. We all sort of stared at her when she began to fan her pelvic area. We laughed nervously with her until she said, "I'm hot, hot. I'm perimenopausal you know." Her boyfriend shrieked, someone guffawed and I stared slack jawed at them both. Without skipping a beat she laughed and threw her arms around him. Soon the concert started and I was transported to another place where doo wop and disco ruled. Of course there were several outfit changes. All the primary colors were covered. She mentioned her daughter Tracy Ellis Ross' show Black-ish. Tracey and I are the same age and I sometimes wonder how my soul did not end up in Tracy's body so that Diana could be my mom and I could play in her closet. I resisted the temptation to go too far down that rabbit hole.

Diana at the Johnny Mercer


She looked great. Her voice sounded amazing. It was a lovely night, and I could not stop being grateful for the opportunity to see her IRL at long last. Since my arrival in Savannah two years ago these serendipitous events have happened with more and more frequency. It could be coincidence. It could be right time, right place. No matter the reason or the cause, I am thankful for all the opportunities to experience once in a lifetime goals such as seeing The Boss in concert. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment