Friday, July 3, 2015

Michelle was here. Yes that Michelle

First Lady of the United States (FLOTUS) was here in Vicenza a few weeks ago. It took me a couple of weeks to process my feelings about our time together. And by time together I mean the time in which I stared at her slack-jawed basking in her presence. I knew she was coming to Vicenza, but I did not expect to be within earshot of her voice. As the picture can attest, I was standing very close. I chose to stand off to the side as she shared inspirational messages with the young girls around me. She encouraged them to study, set goals and dream big. It was such a special moment for them, and it didn't feel right to interrupt.

After snapping a few pix I began the long walk back to my car with my colleague repeatedly asking if I was ok. I was ok, I was more than ok. I had just spent time with Michelle Obama. I was floating on air. Seeing her in person made me feel like I could do anything and everything I ever wanted to do in my life. The swell of emotions was intense. I never considered myself a FLOTUS 'fan', but seeing her in person, listening to her thoughts about the tragedy in Charleston, her concern for the Soldiers in harms way and their families who pray for they safe return was moving. Yes she is the First Lady, but she is many other things. She is a mother, a Princeton graduate, a lawyer, a wife, a multi-generational American and so much more. Michelle is proof of what is possible in America. Michelle Obama has overcome many challenges and obstacles, but she does not carry  the weight of that with her. She is filled with lightness, love and hope.

It was such a special day for our little American community to have her with us for a few hours. Talk about starting the summer off with bang! Looking forward to what else the Summer of 2016 has in store.

No comments:

Post a Comment