Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Nine Days Without Him

I spent nine whole days working in Arusha, Tanzania away from Hunter. Although I was very busy with work pulling 10+ hour days, I missed my little guy immensely. He missed me too. According to Ryan the first few days were OK, but by day three HP wanted to know where I was. He does not talk very much yet, but he expressed his displeasure in a myriad of ways. As Ryan described it, he was generally upset and inconsolable. I have never been gone for more than a few days,  and I worried about the effects my absence would have. I frequently reminded myself that at 16 months he would not remember any of this.  I also found solace in knowing Ryan and Hunter were spending quality time together. father-son time together.

Now what the heck was I doing in Africa? My office held a conference in Tanzania focused on better integrating women into militaries in African armies. A thrilling topic with my utmost interest. The first event was held last year, but I was still a new breastfeeding mom, and not thrilled with idea of leaving my infant son just yet. This time around I jumped at the opportunity. Tanzania is one of several stable countries in Africa. That did not mean there were no risks to traveling there. I had to get a series of immunizations and blood work done before my departure, take anti-malarial medication before, during and after my trip and never, never drink the tap water while in country. My first night in Tanzania I made a typical rookie mistake and brushed my teeth with tap water at the hotel. Luckily I did not experience any consequences as a result.

Still trying to reconcile my subtle expectations with the reality of my experience. Yes,  I did expect some version of a "welcome home sister"celebration. No such luck! No one cared. My skin color was irrelevant. In fact I was mistaken for a local at the airport upon my arrival. I halfway expected  a version of an African awakening; some sort of motherland recognition, but Tanzania was familiar yet distant. I did not experience the mythical bond with mother Africa. Brooklyn will always be home.

The first female Commander of the Ghana Navy
I met a number of extraordinary women serving their countries in leadership roles, and experienced the juxtaposition of a rural way of life transitioning to an urban landscape known as the developing world.  

I had a few projects printed at a local Tanzanian printer. My visit there illustrates what a developing economy looks like. After several minutes on one of the city's many asphalt roads, the car made a left on to a dirt road; an absolutely unpaved, rocky road. A road so difficult to maneuver, that pedestrians walked faster than the car. Many of them women with large, heavy looking packages on their heads. Some of the passerbys were local Masai warriors in their traditional plaid finery and tire-soled shoes.

After a few yards/meters on that road the vehicle made another left and stopped in front a building surround by a sif-foot high zinc fence. The driver helped me out of the van as I navigated the rocky path to the front door in my six inch heels. Inside was a throughly modern facility replete with A/C,  whirring machines and office workers going about their business. As I waited for my materials my colleague asked for the wifi password to check in while we waited. Within minutes we were communicating with our colleagues at the hotel as well as back at our home office.

No comments:

Post a Comment