Friday, August 2, 2013

My visit with a two star general

MG Sienko and me!

The Army has all sorts of traditions. Being coined is one of them that Americans have borrowed from the British. When an individual or a team has impressed a Commander they shake their hand and insert a coin in their palm. You are supposed to walk around with your most prized coin, and if you are at a bar and you whip out yours and it's from a higher ranking officer than the other guy, he's buying. I only have five coins so far. I am not pulling out coins in bars too often, but I do admire my growing collection from time to time. It is also an awesome memento of a great day.

We have had a steady stream of high profile visits in the past few months. The Secretary of Defense, Vice Chief of Staff of the Army, the Under Secretary of the Army, three members of Congress and the Surgeon General. It's been an exciting time and I have had the opportunity to engage all of them on the work I do.

Despite the family tragedy at the beginning of the year, 2013 is turning out to be a stellar year rich in love, accomplishment and happiness.


No comments:

Post a Comment