Sunday, July 15, 2012

I need to give her a name at some point


Ryan's mom is visiting us for a few weeks. She has a short list of activities that are on her bucket list. Visiting Rome is definitely one of them. This weekend is a four-day Training Holiday, which means the Soldiers on base have Friday and Monday off. Ryan usually gets those days off as well. I on the other hand am expected to be at work, but Training Holidays are generally slow days for me and I can get a lot done at the office because no Soldiers are around.

I had something important to do with my weekend though. It was a special weekend because last week Ryan bought me a GPS. When he gave it to me he said, "Now you are completely free." He is such a kind man, unless you try to take him shopping. Then he can very easily become difficult. So when he says free he means I can get in my car, program my GPS and go shopping anywhere and anytime I want without his involvement. This is a very BIG gift, and I used it yesterday.

A few months ago I wrote about shopping at the Italian outlets. It was fun experience but, I needed more time to peruse the facilities, and time was not on my side that day. Yesterday with Ryan in Rome I was under no such time constraints. There was one obstacle: The Autostrada.

Italians are passionate people and this extends to their driving. They view speed limits and other driving regulations more as guidelines than laws with consequences for breaking them. This was of particular concern to me because I do not drive very fast. I obey the speed limit and that means the other drivers tailgate me a lot. I have been driving for about a month now and have gained a fair amount of confidence, but I needed reinforcements to get on the Autostrada.

Over dinner on Friday I asked some friends to join me on a shopping trip and they agreed. We started the day early to avoid traffic and crowds. July is sale month in Italy. That means almost everything is half off. Another added bonus is the exchange rate is better than it has been in months.

Driving is stressful, but I made it to the Autostrada and reached 100 mph at one point. I even passed few cars and buses. The route my GPS (I need to give her a name at some point) calculated took me through a plethora of driving scenarios. There were winding roads, bridges, and more than a few roundabouts and gravel roads.

We made it to our destination in about an hour, which is the longest time that I have driven a car ever. Sadly only one item tickled my fancy. A below the knee black, leather skirt with a sheer, pleated rayon panel on the side. It is a special piece. The sort of skirt one wears with a white off-the-shoulder t-shirt with sparkly accessories to an impromptu cocktail hour or dinner party when the temperatures are crisp.

I will always remember that I bought this skirt on my first trip to the outlets in my very own car. I am completely free now.

No comments:

Post a Comment